DJI Mavic Pro - A Novice Take!

This is the first time that I have had a chance to fly a drone, and it's the DJI Mavic Pro. I have heard and read a lot on the DJI Phantom drones, about how good and easy it is. However this is my virgin flight and encounter with one. So how does it goes?

I have recorded my first YouTube video review and hope you all will like it.



Design
The compact and foldable design of the DJI Mavic Pro makes it easy to carry around. I simply slot it in my backpack, goes to work and fly it off during my lunch hours.

DJI Mavic Pro is a very compact drone

The Flying Experience
DJI Mavic Pro has the beginner mode. Taking off is simply tapping on the take off button. The system will launch and fly the drone to a height of 1.2 meters. From there, you can take control and fly it further up.

Given that you are flying in beginner mode, DJI has make it such that the drone can only goes up to a height of 30 meters and within a radius of 30 meters from where you take off. This is to ensure that you are always having a line of sight and peace of mind.

Controlling Mavic Pro in beginner mode is a no-brainer
Once you are up in the sky, controlling the with the flight controller is easy. The left joystick allows you to rotate the drone in any direction that you want it to be while also allowing you to control the height of the drone. The right stick gives you the options to command the drone forward or backward.

Control the angle of the camera will take some times to get use to. There is a dial on the right-front side of the controller that allows you to control the angle of the camera - up or down. And there is also a physical button for you to activate the video recording.

The controller
To land, I simple tapped on the landing button and the drone will slowly reduce its' height and landed on the ground.

Active Tracking
Active tracking is pretty precise. Once activated, it follows your subject closely. I did encounter an issue where the active tracking was suspended when the drone detected an aircraft nearby. It stopped moving from it's position and hovered on the spot for you to take control. There seems to be some kind of intelligence built-in to avoid any interference with the aircrafts.

Obstacle detection is also quite on the spot. I tried to "crash" my drone onto the tree, but the controller alerted me of an obstacle ahead while the phone vibrated. It will not let you fly near any object within a meter away in beginner mode (I assume...)

Overall Experience
The overall experience for a novice pilot is good. I would highly recommend you to get a good drone like this to enhance your flying experience!


Comments