Distance and Pace Tracking of the Apple Watch

I have been using Map My Fitness (MMF) and TomTom (TT) Multi-Sports Cardio for quite a while. I love my TT very much except for an irritating sync bug between TT and MMF. I will go into that some day. Today I have got my 38mm Apple Watch Stainless Steel with a black Sports band delivered. While everyone mentioned that the 42mm is small enough to fit everyone, I find that 38mm fits even better. It's probably that I have a small wrist. Unlike my Pebble, Apple Watch is so comfortable that I had never once take out from my wrist.

38mm fits nicely on my small wrist.
My post today is comparing the accuracy of MMF and Apple Watch. I ran a 3.2km route at my usual pace. Here's the result.


Result from MMF
MMF recorded me running 3.28km at a pace of 5:52km/min.

Result from Apple Watch
Apple Watch recorded me running 3.08km at 5:54km/min.

In terms of pace, they are pretty close. Let's check out the route. According to Singapore's OneMap measurement, it should be 3.28km.

OneMap.sg measurement shows that my route should be 3.28km.
Thus MMF is pretty spot-on on the distance. Strangely, both the MMF and Apple Watch are using the iPhone GPS, how can the distance be that different?

TT tracking from a previous run
TT measured the distance at about 3.21km from a previous run. Both MMF and TT recorded a burn rate of about 201-202 calories while Apple Watch recorded a burn rate of 148 calories from the same distance ran.

So who's right?

My next run will be with TT and Apple Watch for a more accurate representation.



Comments