My take on Nokia Lumia 800

Nokia Singapore has launched Lumia 800 last Wednesday. It's the company first Windows Phone 7 having abandoned Symbian and Meego earlier during the year. How does it goes for them?




Nokia Lumia 800 is a quality-made product. It is "carved" out from a single piece of plastic, or I should said polymer. The OLED is fantastic with a ClearBlack display on a corning's gorilla curved glass. Touching and sliding on the glass is great. It has 3 buttons - the volume, standby/on-off and camera. On top on the phone is the micro-usb connector for charging and data transfer covered by a pop-up door. It is using a micro-sim just like an iPhone 4/4S. Overall, the impression of the phone is great physically.

Lumia 800 is running WP7 Mango. I will not go into the detail of the OS as this is written all over the internet. I will provide my short take on the experience in the 5 days that I have using it.

The WP7 OS is incredibly slick most of the time but launching an app takes a while especially for those that utilize the wifi or 3G. Take for example, People - the program launch is quick but updating of information takes a while. Third party app fares worst. My favorite WhatsApp is slow is launching and refreshing of incoming messages. Games with graphics is also lagging, sometimes the graphics stutter... It makes my old iPhone 3GS looks so much better now.

As for Nokia Drive, it's a great product! However I did notice some issue. I can't seems to add a map. I tried downloading it but the system kept telling me that I need to connect to Wifi which I have already did. In any case, I am still able to drive around with it. Directions were given in clear and precise voice instructions. It is one of the better one that I have use.

The built-in battery just cannot last. I have a full charge overnight. In the morning, I replied some emails, played a game for about 10 minutes and sending many text messages using WhatsApp. Then I took a 20 minutes drive using the Nokia Drive. By 3:30pm, my battery is flat.


The strange thing is that emails from the internet does not allow download of images. There is no option to turn it on or off. It is so frustrating.  Updated:  I was informed by microsoft that I have to physically tap on the white space that said Download Image to download the images.

Overall I would not recommend this phone yet unless you have money no where to spend and wanted a spare phone. Else still with your iPhone or Android for the moment.


Comments